Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Openly gay Nigerian, Bisi Alimi laments not seeing parents for 8 years

Openly gay Nigerian rights activist, public speaker, blog writer and HIV/LGBT advocate, Bisi Alimi who achieved notoriety when he became the first Nigerian to come out as gay on TV has talked about how homophobic Nigerians have prevented him from seeing his parents for 8 years.
Bisi who was ranked number 77 as the most influential gay person in the world by the annual World Pride Power List, which honours the achievements of 100 influential lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people around the world lamented about not being able to see his parents since he left the shores of the country due to persecution.
In a recent post on social media, He said he hasn't seen his parents for years and misses them a lot.
“I last saw my mum 8 years ago, everyday and every night; I ask myself, will I ever see her again? What price is so great to pay to not be able to see ones parents? I speak to them on the phone every day. My father has grown older and wiser. We laugh a lot on the phone now, something we never did for a long time. It took me such a long time to know how funny my dad is. My mum can’t go a day without a cal to her “Iyanda Ade, Omo Esho”. She has come to respect my wish and loves me. I have also come to respect her wish and love her so much.
“I have no idea why I posted my mum’s picture years ago, but gosh! I miss my parents. One day, I am sure I will see you guys again, alive, well and in good health. If you are one of those reasons I ran out of Nigeria, think deep about your hate, question it, look into the eyes of my mum and ask yourself does she deserve not to have her son for that long?”
Bisi was listed in the “Independent on Sunday” Pink List of most influential LGBT people in Britain in 2011, 2012, 2013, peaking at number 90 in 2012. He also took the third place on the 100 most influential Non White Atheist and Free thinkers in Britain and Northern Ireland.
On New Year’s Day, 2014, he was named to The Gay UK LGBT 2014 honour list in recognition of his exemplary work to Education in the LGBT community and he has been nominated for an “Out in the City magazine’s” Diversity Champion of the Year Award. The Out in the City award is known as “UK LGBT Oscar”.

No comments:

Post a Comment